Issued on Wednesday 13th May 2015
Prayer requests from Presbyterian Mission in Ireland personnel and Home Mission congregations.
Moderator – Rt Rev Michael Barry
· Pray for the Moderator attending the Balmoral Show today (13th), at which Dromore Presbytery has a stand for outreach purposes.
· Remember the Moderator as he attends the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland taking place from Saturday 16th May to Friday 22nd May.
Amy Magee – Deaconess serving in Muckamore Presbyterian Church
· Give thanks for the relationships Amy has built with people in Muckamore, and ask that God continues to direct her to know how to minister to those in times of need.
· Amy is involved every Tuesday morning with the congregation’s mother and toddler group. Pray that she would have the opportunity to have meaningful conversations with those from the community who come along.
· One aspect of Amy’s role is to develop the prayer life within the congregation. Pray for guidance from God for Amy as she prepares new ideas for the year ahead. Give thanks for the Prayer Diary she has helped create and pray that the congregation will use it in their own quiet times to pray for their church, community and issues across the world.
Harry Moreland – Irish Mission Worker serving in Trinity Presbyterian Church, Cork
· Give thanks for the many tourists visiting the church from the cruise ships docking in Cobh. Pray for meaningful conversations.
· Pray for a young Christian man from Pakistan who has been sent from Dublin to a Hostel near to Trinity in Cork. Pray that he will find a spiritual home with the congregation and continues to grow in his faith. Give thanks for 'The Open Door Policy' of the church which encouraged him to contact them.
· Remember Rev John Faris (minister of Trinity) as he prepares to speak on 'Marriage Matters' over the coming weeks. Pray that these talks may give clear biblical insight before the vote on the Referendum on Same Sex Marriage.
· Pray for Cork Street Pastors as they minister on the streets on a Saturday night, and pray for more volunteers. Pray for the possibility of developing this ministry in other towns and cities in Ireland.
Rev Nigel Craig– Chaplain serving in Ulster University (Magee Campus, Londonderry)
· Praise God for the warm relations Nigel enjoys with Magee Christian Union. Over the past year Nigel was invited to speak at some of their meetings and has tried to offer support to the leadership, when appropriate.
· Nigel has also been honoured to offer pastoral support to students in a variety of contexts. Pray for wisdom and grace.
· Pray for Nigel, Andy Lamberton (Exodus), and representatives from the Presbytery of Derry and Donegal, as they explore ways of ministering to students, using the former Strand Road church premises in Derry-Londonderry.
Craigavon Presbyterian Church – Rev Lachlan Webster
Sadly, Craigavon Presbyterian Church has experienced two serious arson attempts on the church building over the past three weeks. Lachlan writes, “We are grateful to God that both attempts failed and we ask that you would pray for Gods continuing protection for us as a congregation. We have experienced several significant encouragements over the past few months and we are very conscious of the evil one reacting to the blessings we have received. "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." Psalm 55:22
· Pray that there will be no further arson attacks on the church building.
· Pray for protection for the congregation.
· Give thanks for the congregation’s ongoing life and witness and for recent encouragements.
Carlow and Athy Presbyterian Churches – Rev Stephen Rea
· Pray for preparations for summer outreach events beginning in July, including a children’s programme, outreach nights, and international themed events to which the local community are invited. Pray that many will come along and hear the Gospel.
· Pray too for the youth ministry in the congregations.
Smithborough Presbyterian Church – Rev Ronnie Agnew
· Praise God for the ongoing work of Smithborough congregation in Co. Monaghan.
· Give thanks for the growing parent and toddler group ‘Junior Junction.’ Running for approximately three years now, numbers are increasing and drawing people from different communities and cultures.
· Pray for the Holiday Bible Club which is due to start on Tuesday, 30th June. This relatively new work is growing and drawing an increasing number of children and teenagers from the village.
· Pray for the congregation’s new summer intern, Jamie Pratt, a member of Christ Covenant Presbyterian (PCA) in Knoxville, Tennessee. Ronnie writes, “This is a new and exciting adventure, as Jamie comes to work with our children and teenagers in a variety of ways."
Galway Presbyterian Church – Rev Helen Freeburn
· Give thanks to God for all His many, many blessings to the congregation.
· Pray for the congregation’s prayer life to develop further.
· Pray for the congregation’s worship and Sunday Services; for continued growth and more people hearing the Good News of Jesus Christ.
· Pray for the congregation’s Council members and those in leadership.
· Pray for the youth group and new student Bible study, lunches and English classes.
· Pray for those coming to faith, that God would open their eyes and that they would follow Christ.
· Pray for the events the congregation is organising this week as part of Christian Aid Week.
· Pray for summer activities, that we may be a shining light for Christ as we reach out into Eyre Square, giving out free gifts and greeting people.
· Pray for Helen and the members of the congregation to faithfully follow Jesus Christ.
Rodney Cameron – Chaplain serving in Maghaberry Prison
Rodney writes, “What an exciting and dynamic environment in which we share the Gospel! Almost 1000 men are held in Maghaberry. “Where sin abounds, grace abounds much more” Rom 5:20. Chaplains are uniquely placed to speak of sin, with those who know first-hand about it - and then affirm Jesus’ provision to meet our needs.”
· Pray for Rodney’s witness and good relationships across the prison; with governors, staff, prisoners, and their families.
· Pray for the Chaplains in a time of uncertainty regarding the financing of prison chaplaincy.
· Pray for opportunities within our denomination for Rodney to share about this ministry.
Greystones Presbyterian Church
· Pray for Rev Gary McDowell who is due to be installed as the minister in Greystones this Saturday, 16th May.
· Pray that the service of installation will be encouraging to Gary and to the congregation.
· Remember Gary, his wife Dawn and family as they move home and settle into Greystones over the coming weeks.