Sunday 28th - Saturday 3rd September
A week of prayer for our congregation as it approaches the new church year
You can view the Turning of the Tide video below.
Sunday 28 August |The turning of the tide: Prayer of thanks for God’s faithfulness
Watch the Turning of the tide clip and reflect on God’s faithfulness and our dependence on him.
I have always been mindful of your unfailing love, and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness. Psalm 26:3
- An ongoing gratitude for how God has enabled your congregation to keep ministering throughout the pandemic;
- A deep reliance on God as your congregation prepares for the new church year.
Thank you for your sustaining grace throughout the interruption of the pandemic. As we experience the turning of the tide in our church life, help our church and its members to continue to remember all you have been to us and to depend on you as we go forward. Amen.
Monday 29 August |The turning of the tide: Prayer of thanks for a new season of church life
Watch the Turning of the tide clip again today and reflect on the opportunities of a new church year.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
- The opportunities to recommence some activities that have been dormant or disrupted because of the pandemic;
- Wisdom from God about what to recommence, when and how regularly.
Who prompts and prospers every good work for the advance of the kingdom of Jesus your Son, as we experience the
turning of the tide in our church life, thank you for every opportunity to be back together again as a church and getting going again in service and witness to others. Amen.
Tuesday 30 August |The turning of the tide: Prayer for leaders in our congregation
Watch the Turning of the tide clip again today and reflect on how you offer support to those who lead in your church at this time.
Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you. Hebrews 13:17
- Ministers, elders and others who lead activities in your church as they plan for and watch over the gradual increase
of church activity;
- Fresh energy, enthusiasm, health and harmony from God for leaders and among all of those with whom they are working.
Who leads us in Christ and has given our church the gift of leaders, as we experience the turning of the tide in our church life, help us to pray and speak and act in harmony and find joy in our work together for you. Amen.
Wednesday 31 August |The turning of the tide: Prayer for those who are recovering from the impact of the pandemic
Watch the Turning of the tide clip and reflect on those still keenly experiencing the losses of the impact of the pandemic.
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Those who have been bereaved of loved ones during the pandemic or are still struggling with ill health having contracted the virus;
- Those who have suffered the loss of jobs or life opportunities as the result of the impact of the pandemic.
Bring peace of mind and healing of body to those who feel they have not experienced a turning of the tide in their difficult circumstances as the pandemic has receded. Grant them a sense of your presence and an assurance of your power at work in their weakness. Amen.
Thursday 1 September |The turning of the tide: Prayer for those who have yet to return to church life
Watch the Turning of the tide clip again today and remember those who, as yet, have not returned to church life as opportunities have allowed.
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2
- Those who have underlying health conditions that require them to be extra vigilant and those who are still nervous
or anxious about being with others;
- A mix of sensitivity and boldness for those who will be visiting members, families and those who previously participated in church activities to encourage them to return as a new church year begins.
Ever patient God,
May the resumption of a more regular pattern of church activities bring a turning of the tide in the lives of those who, for all sorts of reasons, have been slow to resume the rhythms of attending worship and other programmes. Amen.
Friday 2 September |The turning of the tide: Prayer for our congregation’s presence in the community
Watch the Turning of the tide clip again today and be glad about the many opportunities to be a witness in the local community now restored by changing circumstances.
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14 & 16
- Church activities and organisations focused on reaching others resuming at the start of another church year;
- Men, women, boys, girls and young people in your community, that they may be drawn to the light of Christ through the local witness of your church.
God who brings light in the darkness,
Bless the work of our church as the turning of the tide gives greater opportunity to bear your light to those among whom you send us – neighbours and friends where we live and colleagues and acquaintances where we work and play. Give us expectation that you will be present with us and powerfully at work in their lives. Amen.
Saturday 3 September |The turning of the tide: Prayer for God’s restoration and reshaping
Watch the Turning of the tide clip one last time today and ask yourself how God is challenging and encouraging you to be carried along by its current and flow.
Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25
- A very real sense of the Spirit’s presence, leading and guiding as your church embarks upon this new church year;
- A willingness to let go of things which God is calling us to let go and a taking up of things that God is asking us to step into.
God who restores, refines and reshapes your church,
Help us to feel a gentle breeze of a new season of church life blowing; to quicken our pace in step with the Spirit; to be restoring – building again; to be gathering together as God’s living stones; to be revelling in what it is to be part of the people of God; to be digging fresh channels in which his new life can flow. Amen.